Monday, September 19, 2011

Chorizo and Spring Greens Broth with Sherry

There is a large leafy thing in my vegetable box. I’m not quite sure what it is and so I check the website. According to the suppliers, these are spring greens. I had honestly never noticed that we get spring greens in September. I sent a quick e-mail to Abel and Cole, just to make sure, and this is their response.

“Spring greens are apparently so named because their ability to withstand cold winters is valued for an early Spring supply of edible leaves in what is commonly known as the “hungry gap” – the period when winter’s crops have all been harvested but the next season’s crops are not yet ready.”
So there you go, what a marvellous Brassica they are, keeping us going through our hungry gap and what a fab company Abel and Cole are, so friendly and efficient. And while I’m on a gush, this is a great recipe, even if I do say so myself.

Chorizo and spring greens broth with sherry (Serves 4)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 chorizo sausages
1 head spring greens, finely shredded
2 medium potatoes, diced
A generous splash of dry sherry
700 ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 30 seconds, before adding the sherry.
- Cook every thing for another couple of minutes until soft.
- Add the potatoes and chorizo for a few minutes until golden.
- Add the stock, season and cook for around 10 minutes until the potatoes are really soft.
- Mash the potatoes into the soup a bit if you like (I did), bring back to the boil, add the greens and simmer for around 5 minutes until tender.
- Serve with crusty brown bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment